Monday, September 10, 2012

Run, rabbit, run

I had two awesome runs in a row this weekend. They were both perfect. Because really, can anything beat autumn trail runs in the sunshine, when the sky is clear, the air crisp?

Saturday I hit the Campbell Creek and Hilltop trails for 12.5 miles of trails and some killer hills. It was one of those runs where my legs felt strong, my mind focused, my body in cadence so that every step was a dream. Even the hills were a dream and believe me, that doesn't happen often.

This is posted in front of my favorite trails, which are called (natch), Black Bear and Brown Bear. And guess what? I saw a bear. I saw a black bear on the Brown Bear trail.

I was so happy I couldn't stop smiling. It was just one of those days. Even the snow on the mountains didn't bum my spirits.


See the snow up on the high peaks? We call that termination dust, since it signals that the end is near, sigh, sigh.

Sunday, MM and I headed up to Rabbit Lake trail for a 9-miler to the lake and back.

The first 4.5 miles is ALL uphill.  My legs were tight from my 12-miler the previous day and okay, I admit it, I whined a bit (a bit?) the first mile. I couldn't stop myself. The complaints just squeezed out of my mouth.

Then the views overtook us and I shut up. Because, really there was nothing to say but "Oh, wow" and "Oh my god" and "This is too cool."








Rabbit Lake--isn't it beautiful? It was also cold. And windy. I had goosebumps all over my legs, but it was worth it.

Even though I don't particularly like the long and dark winters, even though I'm cold almost every time I run, bike or hike, I still can't believe I'm lucky enough to have ended up in such a place, in this place.


Weekly stats:
Monday: 19 miles, bike
Tuesday: Hour on elliptical plus weights
Wednesday: 30 miles, bike
Thursday: 13.25 miles, trail run
Friday: Hour on elliptical plus weights
Saturday: 12.5 miles, trail run
Sunday: 9 miles, trail run

Reading: The best book ever! "Gathering of Waters," by Bernice L. McFadden. This is so good, the writing so pure and lyrical, that I can only read it in pieces.


4 comments:

  1. Wait, you don't take a rest day? Love the pics. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of miles!! I'm pretty jealous of your trails though, almost like you're intentionally trying to make me regret saying no to Anchorage again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary, I usually do take one and sometimes two rest days, but last week the weather was so gorgeous I could not make myself stay indoors.

    And Karen, I am SO trying to get you and Matt to move to Anchorage, hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just booked my flight to Alaska so I can run on those gorgeous trails with you!
    Do you get scared when you see a bear?

    ReplyDelete