Thursday, January 3, 2013

Girls on the Run (!!)

This is so exciting: I've applied for a coaching position for the Girls on the Run program. GOTR, which involves students in 3rd-5th grade, works to build healthy body image and self-esteem through running. It's an 8-week program, with a 5k race at the end. Just thinking about "my" girls running their first race almost makes me cry, and I haven't even met the kids yet. Heck, I haven't even been accepted into the program. (Keep your fingers crossed, okay?)

This makes me almost cry, too. It's very inspirational. It's me in, oh, about 33 years or so (do the math--yes, I'm that old).

Enjoy!



Today's run: 8.75 mile tempo over packed and smooth trails. Running outside when the temps are warm and the trails are good? Awesome!

Next week I head out to Hatcher Pass to housesit for David and Jonnie, their two dogs (plus my own dog, of course), two turkeys, five chickens and indoor parakeet. Wild times. I'll take many pics to post. The mountains out there are breathtaking.

Happy weekend, everyone.

8 comments:

  1. Girls on the Run is amazing. My cousin did it a few years ago, she had a blast and she is natually really fast. I ran with her in the race at the end of it. It was so fun!! Good luck.
    We've had Alaska like weather here lately -18 yesterday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Geez, I messed up replying on my own blog, is that sad or what?
      But OMG, Christa, it's colder down there than it is up here. What's up with that? It's been in the 40s here. We're having a tropical vacation.
      Glad your cousin enjoyed Girls on the Run. Bet she could beat me in a race, no?
      Cheers and take care,

      Delete
  2. Some of my students did GOTR and I went and watched and it was incredible. My daughter coached it one year and I went and volunteered at the race. But volunteering as a coach is a huge thing. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, if I coach GOTR like your daughter, will I suddenly be as fast as she is?? Watching girls run would be incredible. I will probably bawl my eyes out. Cheers,

      Delete
  3. I've been a coach for GOTR for a few years now, you are going to absolutely love it. I will never forget the first time I ran the 5k with one of the kiddos, it cracked me up that she wanted to stop and look at the ducks - DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE RACE!! Hahahah. I told her we are too competitive to do that and the ducks could wait until later. The poor thing probably had to go to therapy after that! :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor girl, didn't get a chance to look at the ducks. I'm just as competitive. I yell at my boyfriend during runs if he stops to tie his shoes. "No fair resting," I yell as the poor man fumbles with his laces.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with GOTR...you would make a great coach! Loved that video...thanks for sharing. Such an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete